Differences between Coaching and Counseling
| Coaching Philosophy:
|| Counseling Philosophy:
- Look forward.
- Move you to the future.
- Positive attitude.
- Set you free.
- Find out what talents you have.
- Focus on what is working.
- Work with your very best.
- Discover what you have.
- Bring out the best of your personality traits.
- Excel in your natural talents.
- Flow with your nature.
- Sharpen your functional, healthy behaviors.
- Build positive, strong and independent character.
- Work on the here-and-now.
- Dump your baggage it is a non-issue.
- Live your life and be happy.
- Empower with your strengths and potentials.
- Guide your own paths to success and happiness.
- Create a clear vision of your future.
- Promote positive attitude to achieve positive results.
- Look backward.
- Take you back to your past.
- Hold your hand.
- Figure out what is missing in you.
- Fix what is broken.
- Deal with your worst fear.
- Reveal what you dont have.
- Examine your pathological behaviors.
- Overcome your handicaps.
- Struggle upstream to correct your deficits.
- Change your dysfunctional behaviors.
- Foster dependency on professional caretakers.
- Attempt to change your past.
- Examine your baggage it is a big issue.
- Feel your pain and sorrow.
- Explore your wounds and miseries.
- Revisit your lost paths that led you astray.
- Live in your past and dwell on it.
- Dwell on the source of your negative attitudes that need fixing.
| Coach's Empowering View of Clients:
|| Counselor's Traditional View of Clients:
- You are whole and complete.
- You dont have any problems.
- You have the brain.
- You are the person who knows yourself the best.
- You are responsible for your life to be the very best.
- You are creative and resourceful.
- You can find your own best solutions and strategies.
- Something is missing in you.
- You have some major deficiencies.
- You dont really have the brain to put it together.
- Counselor knows more than you do.
- Counselor is responsible for your well-being.
- Counselor is the resourceful person.
- Counselor has all the solutions for you.
| Effectiveness of Coaching:
|| Effectiveness of Counseling:
- Motivating and inspiring.
- Positive and supportive.
- Help you realize your strengths and potentials.
- See results in one or two sessions.
- Return visit to inform the coach of your success.
- Be in touch with your fear, anger & sadness rather than joy.
- Hand-hold you on a life-support system.
- Help you see your deficiencies and dysfunctions.
- Long-term counseling is your only hope.
- Revisit periodically to discuss the same old baggage and relapses.
Copyright © 2002 The Personal Best. All Rights Reserved.